About Us:

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
The British Science Association (BSA) is a charity, founded in 1831. Our vision is of a world where science is at the heart of society and culture. We aim to support, grow and diversify the community of people interested and involved in science; and to strengthen their influence over science's direction and place in society. The Norwich Branch was established in Autumn 2016 and is run entirely by volunteers. Please get in touch if you have ideas for events or would like to be involved!

Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Meet the Committee #1 - Rebecca Tatum

Hi everyone!

This blog post is the first in a series called Meet the Committee which will give each member of the BSA Norwich committee the chance to answer a few introductory questions about themselves.

First up we have Rebecca Tatum - usually known as Becky - who is our Secretary. She can be found on Twitter @RebeccaTatum26.


Q: What is your role in the committee and what does it involve?

I’m the Secretary for BSA Norwich, so that means I mostly have to manage and write emails, which I (oddly) really enjoy!! :) This includes sending emails to both the committee and volunteer mailing list as well as to external organisations. I also write minutes for branch meetings, and liaise with the Communications Officer (we share a lot of responsibilities). Like everyone else on the committee, I support the planning and delivery of the branch’s events programme and promote the charity’s main aims.

In BSA Norwich, I’m looking forward to helping out with organising and running our branch’s fun and informative events; a lot has to happen behind the scenes and it’s exciting being part of that build-up!

Q: What is your current occupation?

I’m a mature student studying Biological Sciences part-time at the University of East Anglia and I’m in my second year – I love Biology, particularly genetics. I’ve found the UEA to be so so supportive, and Norwich is a great city to be a student in! 

I’ve had various part-time jobs over the years, from Admin Assistant in a GP surgery to 3D kitchen designer, and I’ve always done volunteering or work experience in science communication type activities. I’m not totally sure what I want to do after my Biology degree, but it’ll quite likely be science communication in some form! 

Q: What do you like doing in your spare time?

I enjoy art, nature, yoga, walking, reading and music – and volunteering of course! I love spending time with family and friends; my favourite thing to do is to go out for a catch-up in a cafĂ© over a big pot of tea! :)

Fun fact: I tripped over a hose pipe in the garden when I was four and broke my nose!!

Thanks Becky! :)

As always, if you have any thoughts or feedback regarding events, social media activity, and blog posts from BSA Norwich then we'd love to hear from you! Also, please get in contact if you'd like to volunteer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment