About Us:

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
The British Science Association (BSA) is a charity, founded in 1831. Our vision is of a world where science is at the heart of society and culture. We aim to support, grow and diversify the community of people interested and involved in science; and to strengthen their influence over science's direction and place in society. The Norwich Branch was established in Autumn 2016 and is run entirely by volunteers. Please get in touch if you have ideas for events or would like to be involved!

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Meet the Committee #7 - Hannah Langlands

Hi everyone!

The penultimate Meet the Committee blog post features Hannah Langlands who is a Treasurer for BSA Norwich. She can be found on Twitter @hlanglands.


Q: What is your role in the committee and what does it involve?

Alongside Josie, I am one of the Treasurers / Fundraising Officers for the branch. We keep an eye on branch spending and make sure to apply for grants. As a charity, we aim to keep all of our events as accessible and exciting as possible so there is something for everyone to enjoy. I am looking forward to organising some great fundraising events that will let us continue to achieve this! 

Q: What is your current occupation?

Having grown up in Norwich, I am glad to have moved back here for a couple of years after completing my Biomedical Sciences degree in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I am currently working as a Graduate Laboratory Researcher at the John Innes Centre. My research this year has focussed on deciphering the molecular interactions that occur between plants and pathogens when disease strikes. We hope that one day, our understanding of this will help us engineer plants that are much more resistant to disease. 

In September, I move to Oxford to embark on a new scientific adventure of synthetic biology. This, I hope, will involve the design of some new and exciting vaccines. 

Q: What do you like doing in your spare time?

I enjoy playing badminton and often do a bit of yoga in my spare time. If I have a free afternoon, I also try to experiment with new baking recipes. Admittedly, this is mainly driven by my sweet tooth!

Fun fact: I am currently planning a trip to Nepal, where I’ll be spending most of my time trekking up and around the Himalayas… 

Thanks Hannah! :) 

As always, if you have any thoughts or feedback regarding events, social media activity and blog posts from BSA Norwich then we'd love to hear from you! Also, please get in contact if you'd like to volunteer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment